Being a dad is a wonderful thing. My kids are now all three between the ages of 10 and 14. That makes me feel old, which I sometimes confuse with wise. As I get further along in this journey I’m beginning to realize that there is a progression that we go through. Here is the evolution of dads.
- You want to be cool (somewhere around the age of 12)
- You think you’re cool (at some point in high school or college)
- Your kids think you’re cool (at about the age of 3)
- Your kids realize you’re not cool (I’m not really sure when they figured this out)
- You realize you’re not cool (I’m guessing this varies from person to person)
- You no longer care that you’re not cool
- You realize that being cool wasn’t the point (I’m assuming this the next step based on feedback from others)
What do you think? Some of you that are further along this journey feel free to add to or correct this list.